Re: Etch Software RAID Upgrade Trouble & Suggested Installer Improvements

Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com> writes:

> Suggestions:
> ************
>
> 1. Rescue mode needs MD devices

Try grml. I found that much more helpfull in emergencies.

> 4. Netinstall image should have some packages
>
>    I'm not sure on that ... but having grub, a
>    kernel and a modules package would have been
>    an immense help.

They used to be on there. Are you sure you have a netinst and not
mini.iso/netboot or businesscard image?

> 7. There needs to be a command to copy all data
>
>    Between cp, tar, rsync & friends there are dozens
>    of variations how to copy over the files of a
>    running system to another location, but none is
>    perfect:
>      - leave out lost+found

Why?

>      - leave out /proc, /sys, the automatic /dev

use the same filesystem flag, or better see enxt comment

>      - copy all "real" files
>      - copy the /dev on harddisk under the mounted devfs
>        (using mount -bind or so)

Why do you have an devfs mounted? But if you do or have udev there
then the dir is lost.

Mount the device again under a different mountpoint without any
submounts. No devfs, no udev, no proc, no sys. Then you can just copy
the whole thing.

>    There is really need for a good program that does it;
>    IMHO that program should be cp.

rsync. That also works when you have to copy over the network. And
include the ssh.udeb on the image.

> 9. cdrecord's miserable state is well known
>
>    Like the majority of other Linux users, I wonder when
>      $ burn_my_iso_to_cd <iso-file> /dev/cdrom
>    will work as expected.

It is spelled:

wodim <iso-file>

Why should I specify the burner? udev sets that already.

MfG
        Goswin