Re: FSG Packaging Summit in Berlin

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 04:33:48PM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm boycotting feeding any useful information to LWN anymore until they
> > retract their latest blanket insult of all DD's and stop being so biased.
>
> Interesting.  It's usually the Fedora folks who complain about bias at
> LWN.
>
> Honestly, I don't see what the problem is here.  The text in question is
> (presumably):
>
> 	Debian will get the Etch release out this year. Honest. What
> 	could possibly go wrong? Thereafter, the Debian developers will
>
> So where is the insult?  Certainly it wouldn't be "what could possibly
> go wrong?"  I don't think I am the only one to notice that Debian
> releases do not always happen when people think they might.  Remember
> that I had previously predicted that the 2006 release date would hold.
>
> As for the firmware comment: correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe
> that the project, via general resolution, punted the firmware issue
> until after the release of Etch.  Of course it's going to come back, it
> comes back every release cycle.  Is it an insult to say that?

  I suppose the “problem” with the tone that is quite sarcastic. But who
can blame you for that ? Not me, it even made me grin while reading it.
I'd say some people should try to know how to laugh about themselves
and/or grow a skin (not a _harder_ one, just having one should be enough
to not feel insulted, merely itched by such a §).

  Moreover I'd even argue that after all that's a fair answer to some DD
trying to pretend (when it was already so obvious to anyone that it
would not happen) that we could still release on Dec 4th. One should be
able to laugh about his own work, and have some hindsight on his
failures.

  Sorry Joeyh, but Debian's overlong pointless discussions on various
lists are what is the most visible from the outside of the project. It's
displeasing to the least, but that's still what the people see. Get used
to it, or do something to stop such discussions. But AFAICT the firmware
one has not been our more brilliant discussion ever, and it's not really
an isolated one. I know it seem unfair to be judged after this, but
well, you can't blame people for judging the iceberg just looking at
what is outside from the see. *shrug*

> Honestly, it was not my intent to insult anybody.  I'm sorry if I did.
> But, being the socially-challenged person I am, I still don't understand
> how that could be.

  heh ;)
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit