Re: RFC: Proposal for official screenshot repo

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:05:03AM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> Hi,
> >   this idea has been discussed recently, I just can't remember when
> > exactly though, I'd say in the late 6 monthes. Maybe you can grab some
> > names of people that were involved in the first proposal there. It may
> > have been proposed on -project rather than devel. But I suppose google
> > will know about it.
>
> Maybe the following?
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/04/msg00915.html

It's not exactly the same idea. The proposer (Gonéri Le Bouder [0]) focused
on what the layout and distribution of images [1] should be, but not on:

- who provides the screenshots? how are they uploaded and validated? (is
  there an upload queue who manages all this automatically?)

- is there a web interface to that information or it will just be used by
  package managers?

The Alioth project was named 'apt-pixmap' [1] there has been no activity
in its mailing list [2] and the original location of the "proof of concept"
[3] does not exist any longer. So I guess the project did not spark enough
attention.

Some of the information in the project as well as the threads can be used to
draft a new proposal, however.

I think that something similar to backports.org (a service where both DDs and
non-DDs could upload screenshots to) and provided a web interface to view
screenshots by package version would be really cool.

Regards

Javier

[0] Who, BTS is now the proud father of a little girl:
http://orniere-du-globe.net/blog/?p=312 :-)

[1] Based on Debian packages or TAR files so the user could download *all*
the screenshots using a specific tool. Which, BTW, I don't think is a good
idea.

[2] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/apt-pixmap/