Re: Announce: zerotools (tools to keep virtual machine disks cleaner)

#include <hallo.h>
* Mike Hommey [Wed, Jan 03 2007, 01:38:23PM]:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 01:13:27PM +0100, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Please add a technical overview to your introduction. As a techie, I
> > would like to read what is so special about zerotools what I cannot do
> > with:
> > rm crapfiles && cat /dev/zero > bigfile && sync && rm bigfile && sync.
> or just shred crapfiles

Not really. You need to add funny parameters like "-vzn0" to shred to
shred them with zero and then you still need to unlink them manually.
And IMO it is less intuitive than my command chain for this particular

OpenBSD fails miserably in this respect, and makes for an example of how NOT
to work with the community on security issues.  Their approach is, roughly,
"we fixed this a while ago but didn't tell anyone, so you're vulnerable and
we're not, ha-ha-ha".