Re: block device served over network connections

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 02:59, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Just rearrange the initscripts so that mdadm is ran _after_ aoetools.

If it were only that easy, I would do that. However, there is much more to it.
For instance, the mdadm and lvm and evms run in the initramfs. Also the
ethernet card receiving the AOE data needs to be up to talk to the devices,
and thus needs to be up. An IP is not neccesarily needed for AOE (think "ip
link set eth1 up") unlike ISCSI. I wish there were a way to make the aoetools
script work, but it is fundamentally broken. I would like to work with the
maintainer, but he has been pretty unresponsive to this use case.

I have now added the scripts to make it work from initramfs and to make sure
the network is up during shutdown at the right time to let the lvm subsystem
properly shut down. I also disabled the aoetools scripts. I have posted the
required scripts at [1]. Granted, they are a total hack, but they work. I
wish someone smarter than me about this stuff would take a look. As one
improvement, I could probably use the /etc/default/aoetools in the initramfs
script.

wt

[1]http://penguintechs.org/debian/aoe_stuff/aoe-block.tar
--
Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science