block device served over network connections

DDs,

I am looking for some info on this subject. I have looked at both the aoetools
and open-iscsi for a solution to the following problem.

I have a block device that is served over aoe. Basically, I would like to take
two of these devices (e0.0 and e1.0) and create a raid1 with software RAID.
However, I am not really sure how to solve this one. I am emailing here
because I think the infrastructure to do such a thing may not exist in
Debian.

The basic problem is the network devices that receive info related to the
block device must be up early enough that the mdadm discovery has not
happened. It would be fairly easy to right a script that simply
does "ifconfig eth0 up" and performs discovery (additionally
disabling /etc/rcS.d/S41aoetools and essentially doing my own thing), but I
would like to know if there is official Debian infrastructure for this sort
of thing.

Are there any other packages I should be looking at to make this happen?

If not, maybe this is something that should be considered by some people who
care as network based block storage is getting more common. With NBD, AOE,
and ISCSI (and others I am sure), I don't think that each package should
implement their own way of dealing with this problem, and I hope some kind of
normalized way of dealing with this problem can be made available, if it is
not already available.

Thanks,
wt
--
Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science