Re: Two questions on package quality

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 09:48 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Hello people.
>
> I was asked to sponsor a package upload.
> I am in doubt on tho following issues, so I/m asking debian-devel for
> comments.
>

> 1. Upstream does not provide a manual page for the binary. Packager decided
> to add binary-without-manpage to lintian override file, and Tag:
> no-manual-for-binary to linda override file.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Is having a manual page for each binary inside package a mandatory
> requirement these days?

See:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

"If no manual page is available, this is considered as a bug and should
be reported to the Debian Bug Tracking System (the maintainer of the
package is allowed to write this bug report themselves, if they so
desire). Do not close the bug report until a proper man page is
available."

> - If binary without manpage is allowed, then what of following 3 statements
> is true:
>   (1) binary-without-manpage/no-manual-for-binary should be added, to stop
> complains from lintian/linda,
>   (2) binary-without-manpage/no-manual-for-binary should not be added, so
> linda/lintian complains remind that manual page should be written one day,
>   (3) or it really does not matter, and I should sign the upload regardless
> of this issue?

Policy does not forbid uploading packages with binaries without
manpages.  I don't think that policy states whether or not to add the
overrides.

> 2. Upstream tarball contains ttf-dejavu font. Linda found that and
> complained. I've asked packager to remove font both from binary package
> and upstream tarball, and to make binary package to depend on ttf-dejavu
> instead.
>
> So .orig.tar.gz got repackaged, and now it differs from upstream.
>
> Should then 'upstream' version string be changed from x.y.z to
> x.y.z.debian? Or not? Or it does not matter?

See:
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-repackagedorigtargz

Is debian/README.Debian-source added?

Using x.y.z.debian.1 or x.y.z.dfsg.1 or x.y.z.d061217 is required when
the .orig.tar.gz without modifications was already uploaded.

Hope this helps,

Bart Martens