Re: Names of ROOT packages in Debian

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 05:29:22PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Christian Holm Christensen:
>
> >   Shared libraries: libroot5.13 for the core libs
> >                     libroot-*5.13 for add-on libs
> >   Libdevel pkgs:    libroot-dev for the core libs
> >                     libroot-*-dev for add-on libs
>
> These shouldn't be a problem, I think.
>
> >   Plugins:          root-plugin-*
> >   Executables:      root-bin for the core binaries
> >                     root-* for add-on binaries, e.g., root-xrootd
> >   Other packages:   root-doc, root-doc, ttf-root-installer
>
> "root-project" instead of "root" could solve the problem.  It's not
> just that the name is too generic, your users might assume that
> root-tail and root-portal are part of your packages.
>
> But you really need to get ftpmaster feedback.  This isn't something
> that should be resolved by a popular vote.

Hi Christian,
When the ftpmasters say 'too generic', it does not provide a path for
you to address the issue (e.g. generic in what way?). A package name
should be self-documenting, if I understand the intention. It should be
able to be interpreded, in the few seconds someone reads it, in a way
that would lead to the intended user to find it. From my thinking,
'root' is a very loaded word in the *nix realm. It is associated with
'root user', 'root kit', etc. So I've seen folks add a prefix, a suffix,
a change in capitalization or even a rename of the package name or the
enclosed binaries to make the package more easily recognizable by the
'apt-cache search'ing people. There seems to be the intention that you
should change the package name and possibly the associated library
package names. If its a math framework, then maybe root-framework or
root-math-framework? If I saw a package on my computer called root, or
ROOT, I'd think rootkit. Hope this illuminates the issue.
Cheers,
Kev
ps. the SIXPACK issue comes to mind.