Bonsai: Candidate for removal from the archive?

(If you didn't catch it in the To: line: Check on #391772 for further
background)

Of the modules you mention:

> use Crypt;

Provided by the Bonsai package (in /usr/lib/bonsai/Crypt.pm)

> use File::Find;

Provided by perl-modules, which is build-essential. However, this
module is used at installation time (in postinst), so yes, this should
be listed as a pre-depends (as it's not a required/essential package)

> use Debconf::Client::ConfModule ':all';

Provided by debconf, which is Priority: required

> use DBI;

Is depended upon by libdbd-mysql-perl, which is both in
build-depends-indep and in depends.

> Furthermore, it can't be installed without mysql-server, which is in
> recommends, and not depends

Uhmm... Without looking too deep into Bonsai, I'd not put it as a
depends - Bonsai uses DBI + DBD::Mysql to connect to MySQL - The
server could be in any machine, not necessarily in the same
server. Yes, I hold this even with the reference to #390325 you
provide - The Debconf prompt quoted by Steve is right: The (guided?)
configuration will fail, but the package will be configurable/usable.

> I think all this postinst script is wrong and should be removed and
> even the package itself should be removed at least from etch (I
> don't know if there are many users, but the popcon says it has been
> installed 6 times)
>
> The maintainer seems not to be very active (other bugs are 5 years old
> and tagged "help"), so I think someone else would have to take the
> decision to remove it or not.

...I do agree on this, though... I'll close this bug (as all the
depended modules _are_ there) and send a copy of this message to
debian-devel. Of course, I'm also Cc:ing the maintainer - While he
seems to be away (this particular RC bug is almost two months old hand
has seen no activity from him), I'm sure his opinion is very much
worth it. If Rémi agrees with your opinion, or if he is unreachable
and nobody else steps forward to take this package over, I do feel
Bonsai is a candidate for removal.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23