Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 23:55 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> > Instead of focusing and hammering again and again on /bin/sh, why not
> > instead ask maintainers to do #!/bin/dash?
>
> Because the correct is #!/bin/sh and not to be tied on particular shell.

I can't tell what you mean.  There is nothing wrong with using
#!/bin/dash if that's what the maintainer wants to specify.

> Bash is not there "nayway". It is posisble to substitute it for the
> reasons explained (memory consumption), without any significant loss of
> interactive functionality.

And around and around we go.  Dash itself say it is not suitable for
interactive use, and, bash is an Essential part of Debian.

> The point was making script sh-agnostic. dash is just an
> implementation of sh. Someone may very well use busybox or /bin/posh.

Sure, if the maintainer thinks one of those is best, they could be used
too.

Thomas