Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:33 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> I don't see perl used that much for maintainer scripts, or daemon
> scripts.

Exactly the *point*.  So why isn't this your target?

> Some prefer bash and see no problems. Others consider bash's memory
> consumption a problem when compared to other alternatives.

The only alternative in Debian is dash, which explicitly says it's not a replacement:

 "bash" is a better shell for most users, since it has some nice
 features absent from "dash", and is a required part of the system.

Thomas