Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 07:41:08PM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> Most hardware that was nice and shiny back in 2002 wasn't exactly
> underpowered, seeing as the Pentium 4 and Athlon Palomino was what was
> used back then.  So, I kind of doubt that the statement was concerning
> Woody.  Try Potato or Slink.
>
> Oh, and 8% is quite a difference if you only have a limited amount to
> begin with.  It's not like bash is the only thing that's bloated since
> then either.
>
> On an embedded system, 162kB more storage or 360kB more RAM *is* a big
> difference.
[..]
> But for an embedded system, where the shell is only used for scripts
> anyway, and for that matter, for scripts used on bootup (where speed
> counts), any performance difference and every kB is gonna count.
>
> On a machine with 64MB of RAM, a shell that takes 4.5MB of that is quite
> a hog.

FWIW, we ran bash 1.14.6 in buzz on hardware which was much more
restricted than that. I think my first machine was a 40MHz 386 with 5Mb
or RAM or similar.

Jari's table says

    30933 foo       16   0  1664  464  396 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 dash

    [1.x - 1.14.6]
    10011 foo       17   0  3348 1988 1132 S  0.0  0.6   0:00.14 bash1

    [3.x - 3.1.14]
    10229 foo       15   0  4692 1568 1260 S  0.0  0.5   0:00.33 bash

I don't remember it being terribly bad...

It would be interesting to have the above data on a whole buzz system
(as presumably the above is against sarge-era libraries.) Too bad you
can't debootstrap buzz :)

Hamish