Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 11:20:03AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 19:33 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> > I don't see perl used that much for maintainer scripts, or daemon
> > scripts.
>
> Exactly the *point*.  So why isn't this your target?
>
> > Some prefer bash and see no problems. Others consider bash's memory
> > consumption a problem when compared to other alternatives.
>
> The only alternative in Debian is dash, which explicitly says it's not a replacement:
>
>  "bash" is a better shell for most users, since it has some nice
>  features absent from "dash", and is a required part of the system.

dash is better for scripts (smaller memory footprint, faster), bash is
better for interactive use.  Most users need a good interactive shell,
hence it's better for most users.  That doesn't mean we should limit
ourselves to using bash for non-interactive use though.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //