Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On 21/11/06, Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> wrote:
On Tue November 21 2006 03:18, Bruce Sass wrote:
> On Tue November 21 2006 01:40, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> writes:
> > >
> > > Any reason for not using:
> > > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/

At this point, I don't remember why the URL got chosen.  I was on the Austin lists for quite some time, and Andrew Josey put out a call for people to package the SUSv3 standards.  I remember sorting out the details with him at the time.

Hmmm, ok, I see what you are getting at, from the terms and conditions:
"""
We ask readers to give us their name and email address for a number of reasons:
To enable us to gauge the interest in any particular document/subject area
To enable us to alert you to new editions of the specification
To enable us to send you details of any corrigenda
"""

The 009695399 in the www.opengroup.org URI looks to be a publication
number of some sort (one digit shy of an ISBN though); it is used by the
wikipedia entry (where I first found it), and the similar 9-digit bit of
the URL in the Debian susv3 installer gets rewritten to it.

I think that if the susv3 Maintainer (Jeff Bailey) registered as "Debian" to
get the URL then it would be OK, maybe even preferable, to use:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/ in Policy.

I could do this, but I don't know how to get appropriate permission to represent myself as "Debian" to the Open Group.  I've added leader@debian.org to the cc: list to see if there's a suggestion.

--
Jeff Bailey - http://www.raspberryginger.com/jbailey/