Re: "Arch: all" package FTBFS due to test needing network access - RC?

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 23:53:32 -0600, Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> said:

>> Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> writes:
>> > I can also note why bazaar wont build as root: its test suite
>> > includes a test for the ability to handle read only directories
>> > correctly. As root, anything is writable, so this test fails.

> [Goswin von Brederlow]
>> That test should add a test for root and skip it. If that is the
>> only reason not to build as root then that should be no excuse
>> (post etch).

> Your unspoken premise is that there is a _reason_ to support
> building packages as root.  Why?  I think it is better just to tell
> people not to do that.

        Wring question.  The right question is, why should we restrict
 the choices the user has, provided we have informed him of the
 potential problems it might cause?

        QA number of times, in a virtual machine I am building, I
 build software, but have not bothered to create non-root users.
 Seems like a perfectly fine thing to do -- why should I not do that,
 pray?

        manoj
--
For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and
wrong. Mencken