Re: "Arch: all" package FTBFS due to test needing network access - RC?

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 23:16 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:02:22AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > While I fully agree with you on all points, I think that this should be
> > discussed post-etch with the general question of "in which environment
> > are packages supposed to build ?". There are other similar issue, like:
> > - should packages allow to build as root ? (aegis, bazaar, subversion
> >   don't)
>
> This question is misphrased; the real question is, "should we require that
> all packages be buildable as root?"  And I don't see any reason the answer
> to this question is "yes".

If anything, I'd like to see a requirement that packages build as
non-root - for the 'run the packages build rules' aspect.

I can also note why bazaar wont build as root: its test suite includes a
test for the ability to handle read only directories correctly. As root,
anything is writable, so this test fails.

Rob