Re: multiarch status update

Pierre Habouzit wrote:

honnestly, please find *ONE* application where alternatives can't solve your problem, and where upstream design would still allow to have both instances installed. I've though hard enough, and I've found none.

You might want to have, say, multiple installations of apache (because the 32 bit version uses PHP and you use a proprietary PHP plugin), while you want to serve DVD images with your 64 bit apache (since apache 2.2 isn't in unstable yet and so you need a 64 bit apache to handle > 2GB files on 32 bit platforms).

Your point still holds though, applications where coinstallation is needed are rare and in those cases applications can either implement a solution themselves or tell the user to use /usr/local or ~.

- tfheen