Re: multiarch status update

On 5/15/06, Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@m4x.org> wrote:
> > Why would you see many binaries installed from the user point of
> > view? with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> > listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
> For example because one user would like to have the absolute latest
> version of a certain package while other users are satisfied with the
> version in stable or testing.
>
> Or because you've got scripts that depend on php4 while you've also
> got scripts that depend on php5.
>
> Or because you'd like to compile a binary with libmysqlclient14-dev
> and then compile a binary with libmysqlclient15-dev.

yes, but for the cases you mention, there is real reasons to stick with
one or the other *versions* of the software.

Here we talk about the *same* version of the package, but with different
archs. While it makes sense for libraries, because you may want the

But the problems and solutions are partly overlapping.

honnestly, please find *ONE* application where alternatives can't solve
your problem, and where upstream design would still allow to have both

My problem?
I didn't have a problem that required multiples arches of one
application to be installed.