Re: Intent to hijack Bacula (Heads up, Get The Facts!) (long)

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 03:13:31AM +0200, José Luis Tallón wrote:

Jose,

Before I comment on a few things, I want to make something clear to you.

You have repeatedly accused me of having something personal against you,
both in public and in private.

I cannot recall ever having even *heard* of your existance prior to
looking at Bacula, and didn't know a thing about you until later yet.

I would do this regardless of who the maintainer was.  I seem to recall
possibly doing it for some Perl HTML package that was in a similar
situation to Bacula in the late 90s, but I can't really remember.  I'm
sure you could dig up links.

What's more, I WOULD HOPE PEOPLE WOULD DO IT FOR ME.  I have maintained
my fair share of packages over the years, and I have also orphaned or
given up packages for adoption over the years.  I've been NMU'd, even
recently.

I am not mad at that.  In fact, I am glad that these things have
happened.  (I wish it hadn't been necessary, but I'm glad that people
have stepped up to do it when it was.)

A key difference is that I recognized when someone else would be better
able to take care of a package, and amicably arranged with them to do
so.

I am proud and happy to see things that I once maintained go farther
than I could have taken them.  It's neat to see updates to rdiff-backup,
lincity, or even mgetty come across.  I was very pleased to see recently
that the descendent of the "pure64" amd64 archive I created (which was
itself a descendent of the one Goswin created) has been accepted into
Debian.  That's not thanks to me; I put in a week or two to bootstrap it
but many others have done far more than I ever did, both before and
after.  I am not even a footnote in the amd64 project, nor do I deserve
to be.  I am just glad to have been able to have a part in it -- it
really was a FUN project.

I don't say this to try to prove that I'm some mighty Debian developer.
I'm not, and I know it.  I say this because I want you to understand
something that you may not have had a chance to experience yet -- that
is, that there is more to getting satisfaction from a project than doing
everything yourself.

The best compliment for a Debian developer is not, in my opinion, "Wow,
you maintain a lot of packages!"  (Though Joey Hess certainly is a
wonderful developer.)

I think the best compliment for a Debian developer is for a *user* of
Debian to say, "Wow, *Debian* is a solid OS that Just Works."

NMUs make Debian better.  Hijacking of packages, as in
this case, can make Debian better too.  Remember, from the Social
Contract, that Debian's priorities are its users and Free Software.

Now then, there is not much new in your message, but I'd like to address
a few points.

> >  * Bacula's current maintainer is not a Debian Developer and has been
> >    in NM since 2003.
> >
> So what? If only the "elite" can contribute to Debian say so. Then, all

I already told you in private, when I informed you that this thread
existed (since you didn't seem to have noticed it, I thought the polite
thing was to make you aware), that it was an error on my part to make it
look like this was part of the case for removing your package.  Someone
-- I forget who just now -- had rightly pointed that out to me.

So you know that I do not hold the attitude that you claim I do.  I
would also point out that I contributed to Debian prior to becoming a
Debian Developer.

> There is still half a year left until Etch is released.

Attitudes like this will ensure that there is always half a year left
until Etch is released.

> Still much more than two months left for the base freeze. A transition
> takes 10 days at most.

If you get the package right to start with, and uploaded on time.  Which
history indicates is not likely.

> >  * The last upload for Bacula was almost a year ago.
> >
> There were no upstream releases for over six months, either.

But there were RC bugs against it in Debian for over a year.  You needed
to make a new upload.

> >  * The maintainer has repeatedly, over the last year, said he's working
> >    on this but hasn't made much real progress, and has made no upload to
> >    Debian.
> >
> And I have. Prove otherwise if you can. I have my testing standards, and

http://packages.qa.debian.org/bacula

The last activity from you was:

[2005-07-14] Accepted 1.36.3-2 in unstable (low) (Jose Luis Tallon)

Followed by:

[2006-02-14] bacula REMOVED from testing (Britney)

> never upload anything without testing.

Then your testing standards are insufficient for an upload to sid.  You
have uploaded packages that would not even *install from scratch* on
most machines.

> >  * The current maintainer does respond to pings, but has a long record
> >    of problems getting bugs (even RC bugs) fixed in a timely fashion.
> >
> I assume you meant "not fixed"...

No, the problem is that you haven't fixed them in a timely fashion.

> > I have already prepared an NMU that fixes 22 bugs, including all four RC
> > bugs.  I have tagged those bugs as pending.  This release is currently
> > sitting in NEW.  I also prepared subsequent NMUs that fix critical, but
> > unreported, bugs in the Debian Bacula packages.
> >
> The fact that you uploaded six versions of Bacula to NEW within one day
> gives an idea of the level of testing you give them.

That is not correct.  Here are the dates of the "NEW" acknowledgments
from the ftp-master scripts for my uploads.