Re: screenshot with package description

Sorry for the late answer...

> 3) How would synaptic (for instance) know which packages have which
> images? I suppose you would need a Packages-like file with this
> information... (This will not be incorporated in the main Packages
> file... not before this idea being proved as possible and usefull)...

I am coding since around 4 years a "X-ControllCenter" (without the
need of KDE or GNOME, ist better then Yast2  :-) ) and the integrated
Package installer (using apt-get) use the same directory structure as
the packages but while the packages are using for example

    ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian      stable main

this pics are using

    ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian-pics stable main

Insteed of the DEB, there is a configfile with all required infos like

    1)  Larger description
    2)  link to logo
    3)  link to screenshoot1 + short description1
        link to screenshoot2 + short description2

Which mean, no one need to download the whole stuff, only the files
someone is interested.  On the other hand, I have DEB's from each
Debian Package, which can be installed seperatly in /var/lib/apt-pics/
and it create the Directory structure...
Its like
        apt-get install <package>-aptpics

And the idea to have 29 TAR-Archives with the PICS of immense size is
not acceptable for me.

Better to create 15.000 additional DEB's with pics and additonal
descriptoons (per screenshoot) and make Meta packages to instal with

        apt-get install aptpics-all     (for installing the
                                         whole pics-archive)
or
        apt-get install aptpics-x       (for installing per
                                         LETTER archive)

Think about it...
For this time it is just an idea.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi