Intent to hijack Bacula

On Tue, 9 May 2006 11:07:27, John Goerzen wrote:
: Hello,
:
: I intend to take over the Bacula package.  I would first like to say
: thanks to Jose Luis Tallon for initially packaging it for Debian and
: maintaining it for these years.
:
: A brief history of why I intend to do this:
:
:  * Bacula has had RC bugs open for more than a year.  It was removed
:    from testing several months ago because of this.
:
:  * Bacula's current maintainer is not a Debian Developer and has been
:    in NM since 2003.
:
:  * Bacula as it currently exists in sid is unbuildable and
:    uninstallable.  Bacula will not be present in etch unless significant
:    problems are fixed.
:
:  * The last upload for Bacula was almost a year ago.
:
:  * The maintainer has repeatedly, over the last year, said he's working
:    on this but hasn't made much real progress, and has made no upload to
:    Debian.
:
:  * Several additional critical-level or grave-level unreported bugs
:    exist in the bacula Debian source tree (such as stopping database servers
:    without permission and deleting files un-owned by a particular
:    package)
:
:  * There are various policy compliance issues with the current packages.
:
:  * The current maintainer does respond to pings, but has a long record
:    of problems getting bugs (even RC bugs) fixed in a timely fashion.

I don't agree, all those things are not in my opinion enough for the
hijacking.

The package has bugs, lots of them, and for that reason has been removed
from testing, well done, unstable it is here for that.

The lots of bugs had not been solved, and several upstream versions had
delayed again and again the uploads Jose Luis has been working on. A lot of
work have to be done to package a new version, and a new upstream version
when the last one is not yet finished doesn't help to get the things done.

Ok, the maintainer has not fixed the bugs, has not packaged the last
version of it in time, etc, but he has done a great job anyway, and I
still don't see the point of hijacking the package.

If the maintainer still wants to maintain it, help him, do NMUs, whatever,
but I'm still looking for one reason you can take over the package against
the maintainer opinion.

Regards,
rover, Jose Luis's sponsor and uploader of many of his packages including
bacula, you can blame me also if you want

Salud,
--
Roberto Lumbreras           .''`.
                    <rover : :' : debian.org>