Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 4

Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> wrote:

>>perl-modules should not depends on perl. It's useless to have only
>>perl-modules installed, but this create no harm.
>>
>>moreover people just apt-get install perl, so that won't break anything.
>
> That would be true if perl depended on perl-modules (= current-ver).

And how is apt supposed to install both if they are not present at all
before the installation?

Well, it isn't, since perl is installed by debootstrap (or whatever the
installer uses), but this exception shouldn't be taken as an excuse to
not fix a bug that's easily fixable.

> Simply having perl depend on perl-modules (>= current-ver) is more
> problematic than the case you describe, since a sarge user may upgrade
> just perl-modules 5.8.4-x to 5.8.8-y, retaining the older perl package
> and things would go pear-shaped.

Upgrading from sarge should be done according to the instructions in the
release notes.  The only things that should be installed separately are
probably aptitude, apt and dpkg, then just dist-upgrade.

To prevent such "problems" in the future, perl 5.8.n could Conflict with
perl-modules ( >= 5.8.(n+1) ), but I'm not sure this doesn't cause other
problems.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster