Re: multiarch status update

On 5/10/06, Matt Taggart and others <taggart@debian.org> wrote:
For a couple years now a few of us have been talking about an idea called
"multiarch". This is a way to seamlessly allow support for multiple different
binary targets on the same system, for example running both i386-linux-gnu and
amd64-linux-gnu binaries on the same system (many other working combinations
exist as well). I have created a new page in the wiki to track info and status

Does it also allow completely arbitrary combinations to be installed?

* allow for seamless large ABI transitions
* allow users to smoothly migrate from one arch to another
* do things like "partial architectures" so that we can add weird
 processor variants without needing to add an entire new port to the
 pool/mirrors
* better assimilate the *BSD kernels and userspaces
* better support non-monopoly archs, since they may be able to run bits
 for other archs
* maybe even to do stuff like use non-native archs (with support for
 other binary targets) to build native bits (m68k emulator on
 superfast amd64?).
* other cool stuff

Does it also allow multiple versions of the same package to be
installed at the same time?
For example, multiple minor versions or multiple major versions?