patching a package?

Third try posting this. Something is wrong with Debian's mail server?

Sorry, I'm new to the dpkg system. I looking around on the web site and
couldn't seem to find good docs on this specific issue. Appologies if I
missed it.

I want to take a Debian source package and make a few changes to do it
and then recompres it and test it. If it works I want to generate a
patch which I can send to the maintainer. What would be the best way to
do this?