Re: Policy change about `/usr/lib/cgi-bin' - Mass bug filing pending...

On 5/3/06, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Using the path component "cgi-lib" which will even be visible to users
of the web server looks like a big chunk of NIH to me. Even worse, it
will break existing URLs when CGIs start to move to their location.

To be honest, I thought this policy had a different purpose entirely.
I thought it was to deal with the problem of people installing
packages and having them install things that conflict with the admin.
Or alternately, the problem of having packages be accessable via the
webserver before the admin has configured the package.

So, debian changes packages to install to cgi-lib where we can ensure
they won't conflict. If the admin wants to make them visible they
symlink the stuff from cgi-lib to cgi-bin. No special webserver
supported needed.

Just changing the names seems silly in the extreme.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/