Re: System users and valid shells...

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:45:56AM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> this may be a dumb question, but I really wonder if there's a policy
> (which I obviously haven't found) about which system users should get
> a valid shell and which shouldn't.

This is bug #330882, and is basically because I'm exceptionally
conservative when it comes to base-passwd and it's rather hard to tell
whether anything in Debian might be relying on any of those users having
a valid shell.

I'm willing to change these, but I'd like to do it on a case-by-case
basis after scanning the archive for potential problems. At the moment
I'm not even sure how to begin that scan ...

Cheers,