Re: Honesty in Debian (was Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

[Thomas Weber]
> let's think about HTML files with Javascript.
>
> What are these? Documentation, computer programs, both?

To me the much more interesting question is "Given that you can make a
distinction between documentation and other software, why do users of
documentation not deserve the same freedoms as users of other
software?"

In other words: what is it about documentation that invalidates some of
the freedoms we believe in?  And which freedoms?

(Frankly, I don't really expect a non-handwavy answer to this one, on
the historical basis that if a reasonable answer existed, someone
should have thought of it *years* ago, and to my knowledge nobody has.)