Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On 10 Feb 2006, Anthony Towns told this:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:08:32PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>>> That view, namely "other people may propose ballots that aren't
>>> good enough, and it's my job to stop that", is precisely a
>>> supervisory one.
>> Often the role of a Secretary is a ministerial one, and which
>> wouldn't include supervisory elements.  However, Debian is
>> different, giving to the Secretary a variety of supervisory tasks,
>
> That's not true; the secretary's position in Debian is primarily
> administrative -- namely "to take votes amongst the Developers" and
> "determine the number and identity of Developers".
>
> The two additional duties are exceptional: to stand in for the DPL
> when he's absent (with the tech ctte chair), and to adjudicate
> disputes about the constitution. Neither is supervisory in any case
> -- the difference being that supervision is an ongoing task, unlike
> both standing in while a new DPL is chosen, or adjudicating a
> dispute that's arisen.

        And being responsible for the final form of the ballot. I also
 think that that includes deciding which peoposals fit on one ballot,
 and which require a separate vote.

> That doesn't mean taking on a supervisory role is bad or improper,
> though, just that it's not an unavoidable consequence of being
> Debian secretary.

        It is an unavoidable part of being an ethical secretary,
 according to my reading of the position.

        manoj
--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. Benjamin Franklin