Re: Proposal: move /etc/{protocol,services,rpc} to base-files

schleper@math.berkeley.edu wrote:
> Currently there are several packages which Build-Depend on netbase just to
> have /etc/protocol and /etc/services available to run tests.  Unfortunately,
> this means that all of netbase's dependencies also need to be installed --
> and because of bug #162581, pbuilder can't even block inetd from starting in
> its chroot, resulting in orphan inetd processes after the build is over.
>
> So I'd like to propose moving those data files from netbase to base-files.
If
> it's decided that these files are inappropriate content for an essential
> package, I'd at least like to see something like netbase-data which could be
> installed without all the heavy dependencies of netbase.  I'd especially
like
> to hear the opinions of the netbase and base-files packages' maintainers on
> this.

This seems like a very good idea.  If there are really packages which are
Build-Depending just to get those little database lists, they shouldn't need
to Build-Depend on netbase.

Actually, those lists have the interesting property of being semi-volatile
data which changes (/should change) more often than the rest of netbase.  I
think this argues for putting them in a separate netbase-data package.

In fact, this would solve in a certain sense the long argument about how many
protocols/services to include in the lists: alternate packages could
Provides: netbase-data if they included any superset of the most basic list.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,