Re: db.debian.org (and related infrastructure) updates

On Dec 30, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> wrote:

> > It's sad to see Debian promoting and supporting use of antisocial
> > software.
> There's nothing more anti-social in sender verification than in any other
> similar check - if someone sends mail from an address that cannot be
> delivered to, I don't want to accept it, because I can't deliver a reply to
> them. If they want to talk to me, but won't accept replies from me, who
> exactly is antisocial there?
For a start that sites performing sender verification will partecipate
in a DDoS on the mail infrastructure of domains forged by spammers.
It's just as simple as this. Sender verification is barely less harmful
than C/R schemes and antivirus advertisements^Wnotices.

Also, sender verification when seen from the side of the victims is
indistinguishable from a dictionary attack, and may cause deliverability
issues to the hosts attempting it.

On Dec 30, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> And if you would simply read the mail you would understand that this is
> a per-user setting. If you dont like it - dont use it.
And if you would simply read the mail you would understand that this is
not relevant.

--
ciao,
Marco