Re: restricted sourceless ARM uploads

Wookey a écrit :
> On 2006-12-20 17:39 +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For those who don't know, I have setup 8 emulated ARM build daemons and
>> started to upload packages. To know why and for more information, see
>> [1].
>
> Very impressive piece of work aurelien! We ought to discuss if there
> is any significant reason not to use qemu 'machines' instead of actual
> hardware for slower arches.

I think we should include Paul Brook in the discussion, as he written a
lot of parts of the ARM emulation, and is also active in the Debian ARM
port.

Anyway I will say that if we can have fast machine (and there are fast
ARM machines), it is better than a few not to slow emulated ARM machine.
But that machine should be accepted by the DSA. And here is the problem.

> How fast is each of your build machines in comparison to existing
> buildds?

For what I saw they are a bit faster than the Debian build machines. You
can expect to have a ARM v5 running at around 350 MHz. And with plenty
of RAM (256 MB in my case), so that make a huge difference on some packages.

> The offered Hedges machine is more than twice as fast as existing
> buildds and really ought to be brought into the network - it has been
> offered for about 2 months now. I will mail DSA again to see if anyone
> will tell what needs to be done next, by whom, and when. It is very
> rude to people making such offers to give no response at all for such
> a long time. Fortunately bill seems very tolerant of Debian's foibles,
> and we can at least use it as a private developer-access machine in
> the meantime.
>
>> Note that I would have been happy to not start those build daemons, but
>> given the way the arm build daemons are administrated, something had to
>> be done.
>
> Perhaps you are right. Let us all try to keep this discussion
> constructive.
>
>> Anyway, I have been able to fix a few packages that were not built
>> successfully. For the others, I have extracted from wanna-build a list
>> of package that build successfully, but have failed to build for
>> various reasons.
>
> <lots of useful info>
>
> Can you update the armbuildd wiki page with this? (I expect you are going to
> anyway).

Yes, I will do that later today.

Bye,
Aurelien