Re: Names of ROOT packages in Debian

Le Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 11:00:54AM -0800, Kevin B. McCarty a écrit :
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> > * Steffen Moeller:
> >
> >> I do not like "project" in the package name too much. If you think of
> >> how "www.r-project.org" is presented in Debian (as r-..) then it would sound
> >> strange to me to add "project" to a project that does not have "project" in
> >> its name.
> >
> > It's less confusing than "root-system", I think.  After all, this
> > hasn't got to do anything with file systems.
> >
> >> The problem of the ambiguity of the term "root" remains. Preferable to me
> >> would be to have the name of the institute as a prefix, which would make it
> >> cern-root-... or libcern-root-..., much analogous how the products of the
> >> NCBI are treated in Debian.
> >
> > This sounds like a good idea to me.  For extra safety, you should ask
> > the CERN folks if they agree.
>
> I think that Christian is opposed to having "cern" in the package names,
> for the reason that although the ROOT project is hosted by CERN, many
> many people not affiliated with CERN have worked on the project and
> contributed greatly to it.  The feeling is that having "cern" in the
> package names would be a slight to those non-CERN-affiliated folks.

I looked on google.uk, and ROOT "owns" its name (it is the first hit in
a search with "root" as a query). Maybe ROOT simply desserves to own its
name in Debian as well? To help users figure out what a package is for,
we already have long and short descriptions and sections, and in
addition to this we now have Debtags.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy