Re: Ondemand governor by default in etch

Hi,

please don't CC me ;)

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:31:38 -0600 John Goerzen wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:03:42PM +0100, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:36:29 -0600 John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > > I believe that we should enable CPU frequency scaling, and the
> > > ondemand governer, by default in etch.
> >
> > s/ondemand/conservative/
>
> I personally wouldn't mind that.  My general impression -- and this is
> just me -- is that conservative takes longer to raise the CPU
> frequency when there is activity.  It therefore can produce a
> noticable performance hit.  That is fine for some, but is less of a
> "conservative" change from previous releases of Debian.

Yes you're right, consevative is a bit slower than ondemand. But from
my expirience it is not slow enough you would recognize while starting
a "monster" like iceweasel or openoffice.org

> Of course, you do save more power that way, so making it easy for the
> user to change to conservative would be a positive thing as well.

It is already very easy, just install cpufrequtils and
edit /etc/default/cpufrequtils and it will start your governor at
boottime.

--
   ^^^    | Evgeni -SargentD- Golov (sargentd@die-welt.net)
 d(O_o)b  | PGP-Key-ID: 0xAC15B50C