Re: Dropping GStreamer 0.8 for etch

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Well, I haven't tried sound-juicer, but according to the (very brief)
> package description, it is a ripper, and not a player.

 It can play as well, although you can also play CDs from other music
 players such as Rhythmbox or simply gnome-cd.

>                                                        The main aim of
> goobox is to play CDs on those systems where no direct link between
> the CD drive and the audio hardware exists (like, e.g., on my ibook).

 That's a good point.  gnome-cd dropped support for this kind of
 playback and we heard some complaints (but we didn't hear reports from
 people which had CD drives without any connection to their sound card
 and who gained CD playback).  Could goobox achieve playback without
 GStreamer in this subcase?

> In principle, I could not see at which stage security support for
> goobox would be critical: There could be a malicious CD which the user
> wants to play (but this interface is IMHO controlled by paranoia) or
> malicious data from the CDBS data base (but this is outside
> gstreamer). All other data is local/trusted.

 But the GStreamer stack is full of decoders and sometimes encoders
 which need security support.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
 "I have no strong feelings one way or the other." -- Neutral President