Re: Dropping GStreamer 0.8 for etch

Hello,
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:41:11PM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Loïc Minier wrote:
> >  - goobox: gnome.org module that did not see any new upstream release
> >    since november 2005 and seems to be completely superseded by
> >    sound-juicer; Daniel Baumann seems to continue maintenance of this
> >    source

Well, I haven't tried sound-juicer, but according to the (very brief)
package description, it is a ripper, and not a player. The main aim of
goobox is to play CDs on those systems where no direct link between
the CD drive and the audio hardware exists (like, e.g., on my ibook). When I
searched late 2004 for a good audio program to do this I ended up with
goobox. If indeed sound-juicer *plays* audio CDs nice as well, I'll
try it.

> goobox is nice, but I /personally/ would abandon it in favour of beeing
> able to drop gstreamer 0.8.

Well, is it difficult to port goobox to the current gstreamer? I
personally would be quite sad to see goobox go, especially as I do not
see a good replacement. Also I think it is quite late in the release
cycle to discuss this (though I do understand your intentions).

In principle, I could not see at which stage security support for
goobox would be critical: There could be a malicious CD which the user
wants to play (but this interface is IMHO controlled by paranoia) or
malicious data from the CDBS data base (but this is outside
gstreamer). All other data is local/trusted.

In conclusion: I am *against* removing goobox. At gunpoint (read: right
now) I don't have the time to switch goobox to newer gstreamer, but
patches are surely accepted. Also note that I am currently in the
middle of debugging some crashes, so yes, I do really care about
goobox.

Of course, I am not a DD, so I have to accept if Daniel decides to
no longer to co-maintain / sponsor this package in which case I'll
have to look for a new sponsor for this package (but I hope this
won't happen).

Greetings

           Helge

P.S. I'll try sound-juicer on my ibook, but probably not before sunday