Re: Why not scan for unmaintained packages and orphan them?

Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> writes:
> Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:

>>  - but having 20 importaint bugs in one package and 1 wishlist in
>>    another package -- in my world the 20 importaint bugs gets higher
>>    priority - even if it takes a half year to get to the wishlist
>>    without much commenting.

> I don't think much commenting was asked for.  Just an aknowledgement and
> maybe a short explanation why it is very low on the priority list might
> be enough.  A bug report that is sitting in the BTS for half a year
> without any sign that the maintainer has even seen it is very
> frustrating for the reporter, IMHO.

There are a fair number of lintian wishlist bugs in that category.  I
suppose I could send a form letter in response to each one of them, but
I'm not sure how useful that really is.  I try to get to wishlist bugs for
new checks when I have a chance, with the probability of inclusion raised
significantly (but not to 100%) by having a patch attached to the bug.

I think it's a lot harder to maintain a discipline of responding to every
bug on packages that have 100 or more and receive 20-30 a month.