Where to put non-locale global environment settitngs ?

Dear all,

There has been a question which has stayed unanswered for a while on
debian-user-french; as I do not have the answer, I would like to submit
it here...

Users are now told to use /etc/defaults/locale instead of
/etc/environment for setting system-wide default language. But what
about the non-locale environment variables that users also put in
/etc/environment, such as http_proxy for instance? Are they also
unwelcome because /etc/environment "is a PAM configuration file"?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org