apt hangs for ever

Hello,

Is this a bug in apt?

pbuilder update --override-config --configfile /tmp/pbuilder-local.SvMNy19452
W: /home/brian/.pbuilderrc does not exist
Upgrading for distribution etch
Building the build Environment
 -> extracting base tarball [/var/cache/pbuilder/base-etch.tgz]
 -> creating local configuration
 -> copying local configuration
 -> mounting /proc filesystem
 -> mounting /dev/pts filesystem
 -> policy-rc.d already exists
  -> Installing apt-lines
Refreshing the base.tgz
 -> upgrading packages
Get:1 http://ftp.au.debian.org etch Release.gpg [378B]
Get:2 http://ftp.au.debian.org etch Release [74.4kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.au.debian.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex [2038B]
Get:4 http://ftp.au.debian.org etch/main Packages [5579kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.au.debian.org etch/main Packages [5579kB]
99% [5 Packages gzip 0]
 (hangs for ever)

I have tried waiting for it to timeout, but it doesn't.

I tried running it in strace, but then it works. Perfectly.

||/ Name                         Version                      Description
ii  apt                          0.6.46.2                     Advanced front-end for dpkg

The chroot in question doesn't yet have the latest Etch key, but I
don't think that is significant.

Doing a search for bugs, I see #358817, but this doesn't involve NFS
so it looks different.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>