Re: Bash /dev/tcp and /dev/udp

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:42:50 -0600

> On 11/23/06 07:09, Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
> > Hi Klaus,

> >>               /dev/tcp/host/port
> >>               /dev/udp/host/port
> >
> > This has been discussed several times [1][2], and the outcome was every time
> > that this should not be a feature of the shell, but of more specialized
> > tools like nc. Use those or recompile your bash.
> [snip]
> >
> > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/04/msg01591.html
> > [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/07/msg00121.html

>     It can produce completely unexpected results.
>
> C & Perl also can produce completely unexpected results, and C is a
> security nightmare, but we don't ban/disable them in Debian.

FWIW, awk has similar functionality. From awk(1):

       The following special filenames may be used with the |& co-process operator for
	creating TCP/IP network connections.

       /inet/tcp/lport/rhost/rport  File for TCP/IP connection on local port lport to
				    remote host rhost on remote port  rport.   Use  a
                                    port of 0 to have the system pick a port.

       /inet/udp/lport/rhost/rport  Similar, but use UDP/IP instead of TCP/IP.

       /inet/raw/lport/rhost/rport  Reserved for future use.

grts Tim