sarge->etch upgrade: plenty of locales errors.

My locale setting is to be found below. On upgrade from sarge to
etch, I see thousands of lines like

  perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = "en_CH:en_US:en_GB:en",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_TIME = "en_GB.UTF-8",
    LC_CTYPE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
    LC_MONETARY = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_COLLATE = "POSIX",
    LC_ADDRESS = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_TELEPHONE = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_MESSAGES = "en_GB.UTF-8",
    LC_NAME = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_MEASUREMENT = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_IDENTIFICATION = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_NUMERIC = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LC_PAPER = "de_CH.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_GB"
  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

These are due to a new libc6 being installed, but the locales not
yet configured (I think).

Is there anything we can do about that? Can the locales package be
forced to be configured before the upgrade proceeds? I don't think
so, but maybe someone has a smart idea.

The upgrade experience is really ugly otherwise, and it's especially
hard to spot real bugs with all the noise.

Otherwise I'd suggest adding a line to upgrade notes to ask people
to first upgrade libc6/locales before running dist-upgrade...

Cheers,

$ locale
LANG=en_GB
LANGUAGE=en_CH:en_US:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_CH.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_CH.UTF-8
$ locale -a
POSIX
de_CH
de_CH.iso88591
de_CH.utf8
en_GB.utf8

"even if you persuade me, you won't persuade me."
                                                       -- aristophanes