Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:

> Well we got bug reports for that on firefox, IIRC, and we changed it,
> that was not a real problem to replace [ some != test -a other = test ]
> with [ some != test ] && [ other = test ]...

Yes, a lot of people did fix it, but I'm afraid there are still a lot
left.  We can remove the requirement, but my understanding is that dash
supports it, which means that it's probably not creating bugs in practice
(posh isn't really designed for use as anything other than a test suite,
as I understand it).

However, if my assumptions above are wrong, I'm happy to revisit this.  I
do think that it's still better to avoid test -a and test -o, and lintian
does still warn about this at the info level (-I).