Re: "Arch: all" package FTBFS due to test needing network access - RC?

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 03:59:17 -0600, Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> said:

> [Goswin von Brederlow]
>> > Your unspoken premise is that there is a _reason_ to support
>> > building packages as root.  Why?  I think it is better just to
>> > tell people not to do that.
>>
>> My premise is that there is no reason to sabotage building as
>> root. Nearly all sources do build as root and many test suites skip
>> tests that fail as root. I see no reason to stop that now.

> We're not talking about sabotage, we're talking about extra effort.

        Not really an answer I expected from a DD.

> I have a reason not to support building packages as root: it is more
> work for me, it takes time which I could be using to fix bugs or
> write manpages.  Now it is your turn to give me a reason to support
> building packages as root.  What is so important about building as
> root that I should spend time making it work?  Also keep in mind
> that my upstream takes the same position that I do.

        Offering options to users does add to th quality of
 implementation, just as fixing bugs or writing man pages does.  Your
 argument seems to be that doing anything else for debian  or one's
 packages apart from bug fixing or writing man pages is a waste of
 time -- so, to please you, should we just mass file bugs so you can
 happily fix them while allowing root to build packages? :) :)

        BTW, I do practice what I preach: mailagent has a series of
 tests it runs that fail when run as root, so for about a decade now
 mailagent has detected that it is running as root, and then su's to a
 non-root user to run the tests.  This is not rocket science. It is
 not a whole truckload of code either -- and you can steal what
 mailagent does if you want an example :)

        manoj

--
The only unbreakable rule: To thine own self be true, and it follows
as the night the day that you cannot be false to any man.