Re: "Arch: all" package FTBFS due to test needing network access - RC?

Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> writes:

> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 23:16 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:02:22AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> > While I fully agree with you on all points, I think that this should be
>> > discussed post-etch with the general question of "in which environment
>> > are packages supposed to build ?". There are other similar issue, like:
>> > - should packages allow to build as root ? (aegis, bazaar, subversion
>> >   don't)
>>
>> This question is misphrased; the real question is, "should we require that
>> all packages be buildable as root?"  And I don't see any reason the answer
>> to this question is "yes".
>
> If anything, I'd like to see a requirement that packages build as
> non-root - for the 'run the packages build rules' aspect.

Buildds already do that, correctly used dpkg-buildpackage and debuild
does, pbuilder does. I think we can take this as a given for all
packages already.

> I can also note why bazaar wont build as root: its test suite includes a
> test for the ability to handle read only directories correctly. As root,
> anything is writable, so this test fails.

That test should add a test for root and skip it. If that is the only
reason not to build as root then that should be no excuse (post etch).

> Rob

MfG
        Goswin