[help] Tix: seeking advice for #394635

Hi there, fellow DDs, Debian enthusiasts and groff experts,

I am looking at #394635. My eyes are starting to bleed. This bug is not
even RC, but it is ugly, and I would hate to ship Etch with it.

All the man pages for this package use macros, sitting in a file called
man.macros. I have no idea where to install this file, or how to tell
the man pages where to look for this file once I manage to install it
somewhere that is not insane and ugly.

My falied attempts to bring some sanity to this issue are found here:
http://www.amayita.com/debian/1_sponsored/tix/old/tix-8.4.0/debian/rules

I would very much appreciate a patch, pointer, hint, or hug.

Thanks in advance!

--
  ·''`.             If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
 : :' :                                            -- Emma Goldman