Re: Alioth upgrade -- done

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 10:38:33PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez, 2006-10-28 16:16:31 -0400 :
> > Excellent.  Thanks for the hard work.  This is not a problem, per
> > se, but rather a question.  I saw that the new Alioth server has 8GB
> > of RAM, but now swap space.  I understand that 8GB is quite a bit,
> > but I was wondering what the rationale was for no swap.
>
> I don't think there's any explicit rationale -- at least, nothing
> beyond "8GB is quite a bit" :-)

I once heard that the way Linux works, it's best to have swap space
anyway; I don't know what the rationale was from a technical
perspective, but you may want to verify this.

>   As a side note: yes, we know SVN isn't reachable through svn://.
> The SVN server is up, but the relevant port is blocked by the firewall
> at the hosting facility.  The admins have been contacted.  In the
> meantime, use svn+ssh:// if you can.  We apologise for the
> inconvenience.

Could you perhaps set http:// exports up for the time being? Or would
that not be worth it?

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22