Re: Alioth upgrade -- done

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 10:38:33PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
>> Roberto C. Sanchez, 2006-10-28 16:16:31 -0400 :
>> > Excellent.  Thanks for the hard work.  This is not a problem, per
>> > se, but rather a question.  I saw that the new Alioth server has 8GB
>> > of RAM, but now swap space.  I understand that 8GB is quite a bit,
>> > but I was wondering what the rationale was for no swap.
>>
>> I don't think there's any explicit rationale -- at least, nothing
>> beyond "8GB is quite a bit" :-)
>
> I once heard that the way Linux works, it's best to have swap space
> anyway; I don't know what the rationale was from a technical
> perspective, but you may want to verify this.

Linux watches the last access time of every page and at some point it
considers a page less valuable than having more cache. At that point
binary code gets dumped and data gets swapped out.

But if the effect is noticeable remains to be tested for a given the
amount of ram and usage pattern. I'm not sure having 4G cache or 4.1G
cache makes much of a difference.

MfG
        Goswin