Re: Is something wrong to XGL, Compiz, Cgwd be packaged?

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:43:07PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Samstag 28 Oktober 2006 20:30 schrieb David Nusinow:
> > For etch+1, I'm planning on making it enabled by default and doing away
> > with most of the debconf stuff anyway though.
>
> AFAIK this can be very bad when looking at performance and CPU usage, doesn't
> it? In this case, it should be only be enabled by default, if the underlying
> hardware and it's driver supports hardware acceleration for that. For myself,
> I would not appreciate it on my i815.

Only if a compositing manager is enabled, from what I understand. If
there's no compositing manager turned on, the server doesn't redirect
drawing and you get normal rendering. So you could simply not run a
compositing manager and be fine.

 - David Nusinow