Re: Bug mass filling

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:15:55 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

>> > Why?  If these issues are downgraded to "should"s in policy,
>> > doesn't that again introduce ambiguity about whether a violation
>> > of that particular "should" is a bug, unnecessarily weakening the
>> > overall quality of the distro?

>> Why on earth would there be such an ambiguity? Should violations
>> are bugs, or severity normal.

>   Non-conformance with guidelines denoted by _should_ (or
>   _recommended_) will generally be considered a bug, but will not
>   necessarily render a package unsuitable for distribution.

> Is the word "generally" here an error?  I read this as implying the
> normal meaning of "should" -- that not everything which violates a
> "should" mandate is a bug.

        I am of the opinion that it is. We can replace non-buggy
 instances of should by 'ought to be', if needed.

>> And why is the distro quality su=ffering? Aren't the RM's of the
>> opinion that these requirements are not worth following in the
>> first place?

> Hell no.  We're of the opinion that these requirements are not
> grounds for *excluding a package from release* -- but I certainly
> don't think that the release team's stick should be the only reason
> for maintainers to comply with the rules set out in policy!  And I

        Well, maintainers ought to be following the should rules as
 well, so there is no reason for the directive to be a must if the bug
 is not deemed serious or a reason to keep the package out of the
 release until it is fixed.

> don't think maintainers should be left to believe that violations of
> certain directives in policy which are unambiguously the correct
> thing to do should be treated as non-bugs, which is what that
> "generally" implies.

        Well, we seem to be in agreement here.  However, this change
 (removing generally) needs to  be ratified by a few more people
 before I would be comfortable changing it.

> I also don't think that all "should"s that might not be bugs should
> be automatically shunted to the devref as you suggest, because that
> leaves us with no standardization *process* for policy that we can
> use to get eyeballs on possible bugs in new requirements, AFAICS.

        If something is not a requirement, that is, not doing it would
 not be considered a bug -- then it does not belong in the normative
 part of policy.  I think policy should be a minimal document, and
 omething which can be unequivocally taken at face value. It is not
 supposed to be waffling about, nor a thick tome of best practices. It
 is "do this, ot get a bug" book.

        It should be easy enough to create a new document that is "it
 is kinda nice if you would do this, but, no worries, no bug on your
 package if you don't" and submit it to a similar process.

        I just don't think that document should be conflated with our
 Technical policy.

        manoj
--
Some people manage by the book, even though they don't know who wrote
the book or even what book.