Re: How can the OS autodetect that a user is a newbie and offer help?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:36:06AM +0200, Sander Marechal wrote:

> If something happens to X then a user can end up in the terminal. Even a
> faulty application can trash X.

I don't believe that an application can trash X so badly that it won't
start anymore.  Misconfiguring X can certainly cause it not to start.
But an application?  That doesn't sound right.  Now, I've had
applications lock up X before.  I usually ssh in from another machine
and kill the rogue process or just restart X remotely.  I'm not sure a
newbie would have the wherwithal to do that, so he would probably just
power cycle the machine (which is what I used to do before I knew any
better).  If apps are trashing X so bad that it won't restart, even
after a power cycle, we have more serious issues.

> Maybe all what is needed is a small script and a warning. Suppose we
> write a script called "desktop" or "start-desktop" that can start X,
> Gnome, KDE or whatever is installed on the system - with safe values for
> e.g. the X config. Sort of like Windows' rescue mode.

Umm, you mean like startx?  Windows needs a rescue mode because they
hosed their nice architecture and fused the GUI into the kernel.  I'd be
more interested in something that starts automatically when it detects
that X is hosed.  No need to tell the user to do it, just do it.

> Then have a message appear when the terminal starts (not the virtual
> terminals that you can start from your desktop, but the terminal you get
> when X is dead) that reads something like:
>
> "If your desktop accidentally died, type "start-desktop" and hit the
> return key or type "reboot" to restart your computer."
>
> If it can be made so that this message only appears when X is installed
> but not running on the system, then even better.

Again, not necessary.

Regards,

-Roberto
--