Re: How can the OS autodetect that a user is a newbie and offer help?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 07:56:00PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:36:42AM +1000, Andrew Vaughan wrote:
> > What's really needed is better help for newbies dumped unexpectedly at the
> > command-line because X wasn't installed/properly configured/didn't start.
>
> What's really needed is to fix our X autoconfiguration mechanisms so that
> this doesn't happen. One of my target goals is to work on this post-etch,
> and happily upstream is working hard on it as well. If people want to help
> with this issue, please follow up to debian-x.

IIRC, the majority of the "I ended up at a text prompt, what do I do
now?" questions we see on d-u are not X configuration problems.  They
are newbies who pick all the defaults and up without X on their systems
entirely.

Regards,

-Roberto
--